Note: This trip occurred prior to the pandemic.
The secret is out…Secrets St. James Montego Bay needs to be on your list of upcoming travel. An adults only all-inclusive resort on a secluded peninsula surrounded by the Caribbean provides all the amenities of unlimited luxury.
- 10 restaurants and nine bars all with top-shelf alcohol where you don’t need reservations which was nice not to be locked into what you were going to have for dinner. At popular dining times waits can be a little long so we found eating earlier or starting the evening later was the best idea. Some of the best food was the pool snack shack with homemade chips served in a paper cone and the jerk chicken carts that walk the beach all day serving plates of delicious peppery chicken. While the breakfast buffet every morning was delicious, I would recommend skipping coffee there and heading to the coffee bar in the shopping area. The wide variety of custom coffee drinks use the local Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee, make sure to pick up a bag at the gift shop to take home!
- Plenty of lounge chairs around the pools and private beaches but to secure the perfect sun/shade local snag your spot on the way to breakfast by reserving with beach towels and water bottles. New spots will come open all day so no worries if you don’t get something early.
- Water sports are included in your stay and are a great way to explore beyond the secluded beach. Snorkel gear, sailboats, kayaks, and paddle-boards are all available to check out. While the water almost always looks calm it can be deceiving, so make sure you feel comfortable if this will be your first time exploring beyond the roped beach.
- After dinner and into the evening there is nightly entertainment overlooking Montego Bay, which is a great place to grab a table, a cigar from the on-site shop and enjoy a drink. If indoor evening activities are more your speed the property has a music and sports bar called Desires.
One More Secret…
- Our airport experience was almost as luxurious as the resort itself thanks to Club Mobay, an expedited concierge service where upon arrival you are greeted by a team member who guides you past the long customs and immigration lines to a private check-in window. While waiting for your shuttle you rest in a lounge with hot towels and complimentary food and drinks. On your departure out of Jamaica, Club Mobay offers a two-story lounge in the terminal with multiple quiet rooms, a children’s play area and enough complimentary food and drinks to hold you over until your flight. If you want to read about more destinations in the Caribbean, head over to this article about Saint Kitts